Friday 28 May 2010

Recently I have become obsessed with typography, looking around at fonts, trying to guess what they are and why they have been used. Whilst doing this I have noticed that graphic designers for the movie world, seem to LOVE Papyrus!




My recent visit to the cinema to Watch "Prince of Persia, The Sands of Time" had me pondering at it yet again as they used it as an introductory text. Why?! It's an OK font, but I would have thought graphic designers with such resources, which I could only dream of, would employ a typographer to design the ideal font? Papyrus is available to the masses, to me this is just lazy. The equivalent would be sending out my CV in Times, or comic sans. Eew.

However... it led me to find out a bit more about it (wikipedia). Created in 1982, it was hand drawn on textured paper. The aim of the typographer was to create something that looked like what he imaged English texts would've looked like if written on Papyrus 2000 years ago. So OK, something that needs to appear historical, (Prince of Persia, or Avatar - set in space but really about Indians) seems to be its calling. But still... I really think they should make a bit more effort. Even the Typographer Chris Costello, has claimed that it has been over used.


No comments:

Post a Comment